Wild light, eagle searching, rainbow making, an unexpected bible writer, and the remnant of an exile
It took a while to get going in the morning, fuelled by black coffee, watching the wind still bending the trees and the remnant of the rain still being blown through. The sun was making its best effort to come through though and it was a beautiful bracing morning to be out again. The glen became more wooded with native Scots Pines, Rowans, and many others, between which grew blueberry bushes, bracken, and tight dry heather. I ascended past the lodge and eventually out and to the tarmac road, past the entrance to Glen Calvie, and up to the crossroads. I passed a lady walking her dog and we politely remarked on the beautiful morning. Back at Aultguish the man from Lancashire had told me about the church in Croik, so I made an intentional two mile detour, which is quite an effort at this stage, particularly when it's added to a long day. But this was worth it. I took a left, facing into the wind, realising how lucky I had been that the wind had been behind me all this time. I found Croik church, with an information board outside, and thankfully it was open. It's a large and undecorated church, white walls, and long dark wood pews, with a long table the width of the church at the front and benches around all sides of it. And all is dominated by an imposing central pulpit. But the thing that makes this place different and special is the east window. On the 2nd June 1845 the crofters and shepherds along with their families, every resident young and old and in between, were cleared from Glen Calvie as part of the Highland Clearances. They took shelter in the churchyard at Croik - not in the church as they believed that would have been sacreligious - in home made tents and shelters, and carved their names, dates, and thoughts on the outside of the east window. The wind must have been coming from the west, as it was just when I visited. You can still see a lot of the writing, although it has been protected by Perspex which is itself dirty. Inside the church are transcripts, and a copy of a Times article written with great sadness, empathy and some anger. It detailed an elderly frail man who was left in his house in the glen as the move would have certainly killed him. But all of them would have eventually died, exiled and far from home, with broken hearts, broken homes and families, broken stories and histories. The writer said that if this had happened in England there would have been riots. But these people came quietly and submissively. I'm not sure that that was maybe just his opinion, but I wondered if this was the resignation of a voiceless, powerless people, speaking a language that power did not understand. And how much does this speak into our own times?
The work of the estate I had just left is very good work - re-wilding a place with native trees and plants, and native bird and animal species. And in doing that running education projects, giving all kinds of people from all walks of life, young and old, an opportunity to be in a wild place. It is returning the glen to what it originally was. But when? The deer fences surround the estate as they do so many estates all over Scotland, keeping the overpopulated deer out as they are and have long been destructive in all sorts of ways. The fences disrupt their natural life cycles, preventing them from coming down into the low glens. I just wonder if the Clearances hadn't happened, creating vast swathes of unpeopled land, where only sheep were put to pasture, and all the native species were eventually cleared as a result of the grazing and the blood sports, that maybe the deer wouldn't have overpopulated as they unnaturally did. It's not their fault. Can these places ever be returned to what they originally were - people working in harmony with the land and the creatures, co-existing? You only have to read something like the Carmina Gaedilica, a collection of poems, conversations and prayers from the Western Isles and the Highlands, made by Alexander Carmichael in the 19th century, to realise how life was so intertwined with the natural rhythms of nature and light and seasons.
I wonder if there is something in the collective unconscious of the nation that caused the independence lobby that was about being given an opportunity not to be associated with historical power and empire.
But I am just an amateur walking vegetarian English townie. I do think about more than socks and cat names though, in spite of my previous piece.
Croik church was an incredibly poignant and sad place, however you look at it. And it's difficult not to think of all that takes place in the world today, and how evil and cruelty just keeps reinventing itself. On a table on the other side of the church was laid out a whole collection of visitors books dating back to the 1960s. A lot of people come here, many from far and wide, tracing their lost histories.
I left, the wind thankfully behind me now, beginning the long, long road down the glen. It's a very quiet road, dotted with farmhouses and cottages along the ten miles, the hills lowering and the view widening, until eventually I turned up the west side of the Kyle of Sutherland and the wide water came into view, that runs down into the Dornoch Firth.
I had been offered lifts twice along the glen by concerned ladies, but I very politely and gratefully declined, even though I was plodding.
Eventually the huge Carbisdale castle appeared high over the water and I crossed the railway bridge into Invershin, and the hotel and bunkhouse.
I have had a rest day today, with a little trip to Bonar Bridge, and the rest just hanging out here, looking at my next bundle of maps picked up. It's a funny and lovely little place. The hotel has a lovely fire-lit bar, and the place is run by very kind and friendly people, with two red haired children bobbing about, and a dopey old golden retriever called Sonny, who has had a recent homemade rough haircut probably with the kitchen scissors. The bunkhouse behind the hotel is quiet, and I have a room to myself, which is very nice. There are no electric sockets in the rooms, nowhere even to make tea; and an electric shower, but no hot tap or plug in the bathroom sink. It leaves me wondering what they think we'll do, and whether each room should be padded and each guest be provided with a straitjacket. Last night there was just one other cyclist in, but tonight there are a few people about, from many places, all with stories to tell.
I have seven days left to walk. Tomorrow I will head into the far northeast flow country wilderness, with no settlements, shops or probably signal for five days. But tomorrow night I will camp at the Crask Inn, probably the remotest inn in Britain, and it's midsummer.
Not far to go now...
Thank you Emily. Just 7 days of walking left .....it must be a great feeling. Big hugs xxxxx
ReplyDelete